Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company pioneering the development of a new class of medicines for patients with classical complement-mediated autoimmune, neurodegenerative, and ophthalmic disorders. The company’s pipeline is based on its platform technologies addressing a broad spectrum of well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. Annexon is advancing a portfolio of innovative product candidates designed to block the activity of C1q and the entire classical complement pathway. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, unbiased biomarker-driven strategy designed to improve the probability of technical success of its portfolio and striving to deliver precision medicine to patients with classical complement driven diseases in the body, brain and eye.
Desired Candidate Profile
We are seeking a Scientist with a background in immunology and autoimmune disease indications. Qualified candidates will have experience using in vitro biochemical assays to characterize proteins or antibodies and assessing inflammatory and complement biomarkers from human or animal samples such as plasma, CSF, urine, or tissue lysates. Experience working with PBMCs, lymphocytes, cytokine assays, and protein/antibody engineering or expression construct design is a plus. Familiarity with the inflammatory mechanisms underlying AIHA, Lupus Nephritis, or other autoimmune diseases is desired. Further, they should have a track record for being able to scientifically rationalize, develop and execute assays towards the goal of hypothesis testing and/or mechanistic understanding.
- Design and execute study projects towards preclinical and clinical disease biomarker discovery, assay development, in vitro and in vivo proof-of-concept studies with minimal supervision.
- Supporting collaborative efforts with academic labs and with external CROs to drive new technologies and execute on project deliverables for programs.
- Working independently as well as collaboratively in a matrixed environment, with excellent laboratory skills in in vitro biochemical, molecular and cellular, and/or functional assays.
- Coordinate with Annexon’s various functional teams to contribute to IND-enabling/Proof of Concept studies with selected CROs.
- Contributing to the shaping and executing of our research strategy for developing novel therapeutics for autoimmune and/or inflammatory diseases.
- Contribute to building a culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, partnerships with key stakeholders and continuous learning/improvements.
- Mentor junior scientists within the Research team.
- 4+ years’ academic or industry experience post PhD is required.
- Demonstrated success in developing and applying fit-for-purpose in vitro biochemical, molecular and cellular, and/or functional assays to address biological questions.
- Experience in biomarker assays (e.g. ELISA, MSD, Ella, PLA, etc), PKPD, flow cytometry, PBMCs/lymphocytes, and cytokine assays is preferred.
- Experience in autoimmune or inflammatory diseases and relevant cell and animal models is desired.
- Experience in protein/antibody engineering, expression construct or viral vector design is a plus.
- Ability to analyze data rigorously, summarize and drive interpretations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to take on new challenges, with excellent personal and scientific communication skills.
- Annexon’s Scientist, Immunology will be required to be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. You will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon hire. The Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.