VP/SVP, Chemical Sciences (Brisbane, CA or Remote)
Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing a new class of complement medicines for patients with classical complement-mediated autoimmune, neurodegenerative, and ophthalmic disorders of the body, brain, and eye. The company’s pipeline is based on its platform technology addressing a broad spectrum of well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. Annexon is advancing a portfolio of innovative product candidates designed to block the activity of C1q and the entire classical complement pathway: ANX005 (intravenous administration), ANX007 (intravitreal administration), ANX009 (subcutaneous administration), and ANX1502 (an oral small molecule inhibitor for autoimmune disorders). Annexon is deploying a disciplined, biomarker-driven strategy designed to improve the probability of technical success of its portfolio.
Desired Candidate Profile
As the Head of Chemical Sciences, the successful candidate will report to the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) and lead a team toward the identification and development of small molecule therapeutics to modulate targets within the complement pathway.
The role requires an individual with a proven track record of delivering quality development candidates and an exceptional grasp of the entire interdisciplinary drug discovery process from small molecule lead generation, CMC, and development candidate nomination and IND nomination.
- Contribute to the overall small molecule portfolio strategy of the company.
- Must excel in a multidisciplinary environment as an integral leader and team member across several project teams.
- Oversee the design, implementation, and execution of drug discovery strategies and CRO operations.
- Establish partnering strategies to leverage external knowledge and capabilities and effectively plan resource allocation to achieve team goals.
- Provide strategic, scientific, and managerial leadership across all disciplines in an outsourced Medicinal Chemistry environment.
- Provide timely and well-organized reports to leadership team forums.
- Collaborate effectively with other discovery leaders and with the Leadership Team.
- Applicants must have a degree in organic synthetic chemistry or bioorganic chemistry with 15+ years of deep scientific and therapeutic area experience in a mid-size to major pharmaceutical company.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues from multiple cultures, backgrounds, and geographies
- Proven leadership skills and ability to bring out the best in others on a cross-functional team; highly collaborative, team oriented and decisive
- Experience leading at least one medicinal chemistry project team directed towards an autoimmune or neurodegenerative therapeutic agent.
- Experience developing small molecule protease inhibitors is preferred.
- Strong track record of scientific innovation, project leadership, delivery of clinical candidates, and INDs.
- Experience in managing internal scientists and external CROs for chemistry needs to support discovery programs.
- In-depth knowledge of the entire drug R&D processes and expertise in ADME/PK, nonclinical toxicology, pharmacology, CMC, formulations, and computational chemistry.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and attention to detail are critical.
- Annexon’s VP/SVP, Chemical Sciences will be required to be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. You will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon hire. The Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Rare disease experience is preferred
- Residence in the Bay Area preferred
Annexon is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.